Monday, July 20, 2009

one year ago today

One year ago today I was here:

I remember the day so vividly.

Searing pain.

Triumphant joy.

Life-changing miracle.

Lauren would wait until 3 minutes past this day to be born, but I will always count the day before her actual birthday as one of the most memorable and sacred of my life.

I will remember the excitement. I will remember the steady heartbeat drumming loudly from the monitor. I will remember my family and friends who offered encouragement and love. I will remember the hall full of people who stayed to welcome my baby.


I will remember my husband never leaving my side. Tired and worn out as he was, he never let it show. He was my biggest fan and the person I wanted beside me more than anything.

The contractions came and I thanked God for the work he was doing. I imagined what my darling would look like. I wanted her to have dark hair. I prayed she would be healthy. I pushed through the pain and the counting.

In those last minutes of birth, everyone was so focused and intent that it took a while to register that a day had turned. Three minutes past midnight my Cinderella arrived.


It would be fitting. A new day had come. A new life had begun.

3 comments :

  1. Aren't those newborn pics so precious?! They grow so fast. She looks so tiny. I still remember the day you told us you were pregnant and I let out a really loud scream that echoed down the hall... Whoops! I'm so happy for you and those wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet!! I LOVE remembering their births!

    ReplyDelete