Saturday, April 18, 2009

prayers for a child

Last night Shawn and I watched, Slumdog Millionaire. It was such a captivating story. From the opening scenes my heart was broken in two. It is truly no wonder it won so many awards this year. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you go get it right now. Just be prepared to feel your heart ache.

As I watched the story unfold, I couldn't help but think of those poor orphaned kids living in the slums of India. Sometimes I feel so out of touch with the reality of this world. I close my eyes and ears to the suffering. And now, as they are open....I am puzzled. What can I do? What can one person - one family do?

I also thought of Lauren. I am so thankful that she is mine. I am so thankful that we have the means to take care of her and nurture her. It hit me last night as I was watching that movie just how important my job as her mother really is. She needs me to love on her, to guide her, and to teach her. She needs her mommy.

This song by Sara Groves is off of her CD, Station Wagon. When my friend Tammy and I went to see her in concert a few years back I bought it. I don't think she sells it in stores but it may be on iTunes. It is a CD all about motherhood and kids and even though I wasn't pregnant and didn't have any kids at the time I purchased it, I knew I loved Sara and I knew I would love her thoughts on being a mommy. This is one of my favorite songs off of the record and the song that kept running through my mind as I tried to sleep last night. I hope you enjoy it.



Also, here are a couple of sites I am looking into to DO something. Do any of you know any good reputable places to "adopt" a child or simply help out in this world???? I'm still not sure how this is going to work as our budget is pretty tight, but I have asked God to put on my heart what I should do. It may not be any of these and it could be something completely different. I am just trying to be still and really listen to what he is calling me to do. I'd love to hear your thoughts and stories.

Compassion International
- you can sponser a child from many places in the world and I think it is like $32 a month

Food for the Hungry - Sara Groves is a part of this. You sponser a child here from Rwanda. I am not sure yet on the cost...still researching.

3 comments :

  1. Compassion International is a wonderful program. My MOPS group sponsors a child every year and a few of the moms in my group also individually sponsor. They say that it is very rewarding and that they do actually get letters and updates from the child. One in particular is teaching her children, 5 & 3, about how life is for these children and they are VERY aware about these situations. It is heartwarming to hear them talk about their "adopted brother". Just thought you'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - we have a compassion international child. I do enjoy the updates and get to send him notes. I think it is easy to just write the check and kind of check the box, without to much thought to it- which makes me feel kind of shallow. I do think it is an honest way to go. I am wondering if there is a way to get involved with the new charity that the Pitts are doing in the Springfield and Nixa schools. Don't really know to much about it - but have been thinking about it. I will, however, keep "Anthony" and hope we are making a difference in his life. His letters are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen! Greetings from Singapore! I did some poking around, and found this article on a charity that has seen a large influx since the Slumdog film.

    http://www.theasiannews.co.uk/news/s/1098646_charity_hopes_to_cash_in_on_slumdog_millionaire

    The charity can be found here, http://www.railwaychildren.org.uk

    you can either do a one-time donation, regular donation or they also have a sponsor program.

    It seems that Slumdog has inspired many people to donate to children in India, but living in SE Asia for the past few months has made Chad and I aware of all the needy children in other countries as well, especially Laos, Vietnam, Sumatra (especially since the 2004 tsunami) and others. Best of luck!
    ~Andy

    ReplyDelete