Tuesday, May 26, 2009

marriage

Did anyone else watch the season premier of Jon and Kate Plus 8? I'll just tell you I am distraught. You might think that is crazy or that I am totally weird, but I am distraught over the state of their marriage. And when I really break it down, I am distraught over the state of marriage in our country. I can't get this verse out of my head since watching the show:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy" John 10:10

Here's the deal, I am not blind or naive enough to think that my marriage is safe and sound. I know that satan wants nothing more than to lure me or my husband with visions of grandeur or seeds of distrust only to steal the love we've been working on, to kill our marriage, and to destroy us individually. I have got to pray continually for our marriage if I want it to grow and glorify God.

I know that some marriages out there are in seriously dark places. I know that for some, perhaps Jon and Kate, the road seems impossibly steep and not really worth the climb. What I am suggesting is that this week we all make a very conscious effort to pray for our own marriages first. Then, can we pray for the marriages in our country? Can we pray that satan would not be able to steal, kill, and destroy the sacred union God created? Can I be so bold as to suggest that we could pray for Jon and Kate? Think of the millions of people their story touches? Wouldn't it be just like God to work in their marriage so that they could be an example for others? Can we also pray for the men and women who are faithfully waiting for their future spouse? And can we remind ourselves, when our husband or wife is making us crazy, that we are blessed? I'd love your thoughts on this . . . the floor is yours!

2 comments :

  1. I am very sad for John and Kate. Believe it or not, It is not hard to become disconnected like they seem to be. I will pray for them, and for us all. Marriage is the hardest thing I've ever done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you all! I was in tears at some points of the show knowing that it is really easy to get to where they are. It is something I have to work on everyday! I will pray for us all too!

    ReplyDelete