Sunday, January 29, 2012

Motherhood

I found this quote the other day from Rachel Jankovic, the author of my favorite parenting book, Loving The Little Years. I immediately printed it out and put it on my fridge to read throughout my days. I can tell you that it has been a huge perspective changer for me and often when I am just about ready to lose it (am I the only one here?) I take a breath and read her thoughtful words again.

"Motherhood as a mission field is giving up yourself. Lay yourself down. Sacrifice yourself here, now. Cheerfully wipe the nose for the fiftieth time today. Make dinner again for the people who don't like the green beans. Laugh when your plans are thwarted by a vomiting child. Lay yourself down for the people here with you, the people who annoy you, the people who get in your way, the people who take up so much of your time that you can't read anymore. Rejoice in them. Sacrifice for them. 
Gain that which you cannot lose in them." ~Rachel Jankovic


1 comment :