Saturday, May 07, 2011

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

Dear Mom,

Do you remember that time when I was in elementary school and instead of coming right home from school I decided to stop off and play a little while at the playground? Yeah, my bottom remembers it too. No big deal in the mind of a seven year old, but you knew the dangers and the importance of my obedience.

How about the time in eighth grade when I really thought you were going to beat the daylight out of *she who shall remain unnamed* for kicking me? You restrained yourself, but man it did my heart some good to know how fervently you would fight for me.

Remember that time you "ran away"? Ha! I can still remember that day. But, what I remember most is that I never once thought you were really gone. You and Daddy have stuck together through thick and thin over the years. You've never once given us kids the idea that you would give up on your marriage or on us. What an example you have been to me of a wife.

Do you remember the fights we would have when I was in high school? Man, those were some really rough times. Sometimes I look back and wonder how in the world we even made it. I was stubborn and you were right. About everything. I hate those wasted years, but I am so thankful that they brought us to where we are now.

Remember my wedding day? You were beautiful and having you there to fuss over me in the wedding gown that you and I picked out is such a sweet memory to me.

How about the births of my two babies? Even with the chaos of everything around, both times you stood by my bed, stroking my hair and telling me it was going to be alright. You worried about me and cuddled my children in your arms. You took time off of work to move in and help me during the foggy first days back at home. You let me sleep. :)

Mom, I am so thankful for the memories I have, for the places we've been, and for the times we've laughed until our sides hurt. I'm thankful that even though you and I are different, we get each other. You are a remarkable woman and I am honored to be your daughter.

I love you dearly,
Jen

2 comments :

  1. Hi :) Just stopping by your blog because of the "next blog" button. I'm glad I came. This was a great post!

    ReplyDelete