Monday, June 08, 2009

how romantic is that?

Lately it feels like I don't have much to say. Hard to imagine, right? It seems I just haven't been able to top the mind blowing, life changing, make you laugh until you cry posts I've been producing faithfully these last couple of weeks. ***If you are new to my blog or don't know me well - I was totally being sarcastic there***

I've been re-reading the Twilight series (haters please feel free not to comment) and I've found that they are better the second time through. I'm not usually a read it twice kinda girl. In fact, there are few books that I will actually take that journey with. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and The Mark of the Lion series also by Ms. Rivers are some of the chosen ones. Anyway - as I've been reading I've starting wondering (several of you out there have been kind enough to talk this through with me) what Twilight-type romance books do for young adults. If you haven't read the series, the two main characters are locked in a fierce love. The male is painted as "perfect" both physically and in the way that he loves the female character. I'm just thinking that for young girls out there who are really looking for their soul mates maybe a good dose of reality should be what they are reading. Yes, love is wonderful. Yes, passion is great. Yes, physical attraction is good in marriage. Yes, yes, yes. But, what happens when the romantic guy you dated starts getting comfortable and stops holding the door for you? What happens when you've both worked long long weeks and the passion just isn't there automatically? What happens when we get older and our physical beauty starts to change? (Notice I did not say fade away.) All I am saying, and I am not doing a very good job, is that I think that we need more than just fairy tales and fantasies. Love is work. Sometimes I think a false reality is painted in many young adult books. It can't be helping the divorce problem in America, can it?

So - this is a little off subject, but kinda on as well... Don't you love that? I'm all about making the read enjoyable. I love Lori McKenna. She is a gifted singer/songwriter and her song, Unglamorous is the inspiration behind my blog subtitle. Home Life = John Mayer song.... Totally Unglamorous...but perfectly us = Lori McKenna song. Can you tell I am a lover of lyrics and music? Anyway - here is a song by the talented Ms. McKenna about real life love and marriage. I love it and hope you do too...

1 comment :

  1. Totally agree with you! One has to read those books knowing there is a certain amount of added glamour and fantasy involved.

    Love your thought provoking posts!! (Seriously!)

    ReplyDelete