Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"April Is Rare Capricious Loveliness." - Julia Dorr

Some of you may have noticed that in my SURPRISE I'M PREGNANT post, I put that our little one SHOULD arrive March 2011. That should was very intentional on my part. 

When I was pregnant with Lauren the doctor had my due date wrong. When I went in for the gender reveal (I know it is so much more than that to the technician, but to us we were all about knowing what we were having) ultrasound at 19 weeks, the technician shocked me by saying that she was only measuring at 15 weeks and 4 days. It pushed my due date back almost a whole month and made me a little sad to be regressing instead of progressing. Of course, we were happy that she was healthy and growing.

Flash forward almost 3 years to this new pregnancy and I just knew that the due date the nurse had given me was off. It isn't easy for them to tell when I am ovulating, so there was a huge window...well you know. Anyway, yesterday Shawn and I went in for my first appointment with Dr. Stamps. I explained to him my worries about the due date being wrong. We talked about my previous pregnancy and he agreed that they would try to work me in for an ultrasound that very day!!!

We waited for quite a while before heading back to the ultrasound room. I was nervous. I was excited. I wasn't sure what we would see. It took a while, but the technician finally zeroed in on a tiny little dark circle on the screen. It wasn't long before I saw the most beautiful thing...a steady and obvious heartbeat!

As she looked around and took measurements, she asked again what week the doctor had told me I was. I told her I was 9 weeks according to them. Then she said the baby was only measuring at 5 weeks and 6 days. Dr. Stamps met with us again to tell us that everything looked great and that we shouldn't be worried that the measurement of the baby and the due date they first gave me was off. 

I know that being 6 weeks pregnant is early for us to be sharing in a lot of peoples minds. But, for one thing - I'd already told you! For another, no matter what happens this is our baby. Our little heartbeat. Not telling would not have changed that for us.

Knowing that I am 6 weeks instead of 9 means I have more weeks of sickness. I am trying to stay positive about it and tell myself that being sick is a good sign. It also means more weeks of being dead tired. I don't remember being this tired with Lauren. There has been a lot more tv watching that I usually like around here. It also means more weeks to love on and cherish my little girl. If I can ever get my energy back I have some fun theme days planned for this fall.

We couldn't be more thankful, more excited, or more nervous to be on this journey.

April 12, 2011 is our new due date.
What a joy it will be to meet our new little munchkin!
See the arrow? That is pointing to the tiny little baby.

5 comments :

  1. Yay for an accurate due date!! Being tired just means more snuggle time for Mommy and your sweet little girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. APRIL 12!!!!!! That's Alyssa's birthday! She was born on Easter morning. It was great having a spring baby because we could get outside in the beautiful weather! I can't wait to hear about your journey. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April 12th, it will be here before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete