Friday, February 05, 2010

back to school, back to school, to prove to dad I'm not a fool....

Yesterday was my first day of being in the school observing practicum students. It was strange being back in school and yet not really being "back". I was there, but not a part of it. Students didn't need me for anything. I didn't have a class trailing me down the hall. I didn't have a classroom of my own or even an understanding of the layout of the school. It was different.

I really enjoyed watching my practicum girls teach. They are so young and excited and eager to learn. I am thrilled to be helping them grow in any way I can.

I saw lots of tiny kids and I thought of Lauren going to school. Thankfully, I was able to suppress the sadness that welled up so huge inside of me and remember that she is 18 months old. Unfortunately, then I remembered how fast the past 18 months have gone and how fast the next years will be and that before I know it she will be walking down a school hallway with her lunchbox in hand and I had to pick myself up off the cold tile floor and breathe into a paper bag.

If you need me today I will just be hugging on my little girl and looking at her newborn pictures and whispering in her ear over and over - don't grow up too soon, don't grow up too soon, don't grow up too soon, okay? ;)

4 comments :