Wednesday, November 18, 2009

in the trenches

Last week I had a rough day. It was one of those days that started out promising yet never delivered. Lauren and I were off. It wasn't meshing. It wasn't pretty. At one point we were both sitting on the floor in the living room crying. Literally staring at each other and crying our eyes out. It wasn't my proudest moment as a parent.

My mood that day was sour. I allowed the enemy to gain access into my thought closet and if I am being totally honest with you I am just now today feeling that grip loosen from me. For one split second I lost sight of my goal. For a moment I allowed myself to venture into the dark place of self-doubt and it crippled me for almost a week. The questions were right there and easy to speak... What am I doing? Obviously I am not a good parent, why am I here? Isn't there someone more qualified? Am I messing this whole thing up? Do I have anything to offer or teach her? Why is this so hard? Why is it not perfect? (of course I should have expected this one, right?)

I talked to several people that day and the next. I knew that they were speaking truth over my life, even if it hurt and it meant that I had to buck up and stop my pity party. I knew I had to pick myself up. But still, I had let the enemy in to my most sacred and private areas and he kept tormenting me with them. Every time I thought it was under control, the heavy cloud settled back in my heart. I felt defeated and a mile behind.

I don't have a pretty way to tie up this post. All I know is that I am in the trenches. Fighting hard every day for my daughter. For her heart. I fight for the decision I made almost two years ago to stay home. I fight for my marriage and the love that has grown and changed and stayed true. I fight for my family and the legacy that we will pass on to our children and grandchildren.

Some days I lose the fight. Those are hard to take and leave me broken. But, some days I win. Some days I know the very peace that comes only from God and from honoring Him with this job of serving my family. And I learn. I change. I become better for having fought it out in the trenches.

A Piece of Plastic Clay
by Dr. Henrietta Mears

I took a piece of plastic clay
And idly fashioned it one day,
And as my fingers pressed it still,
It moved and yielded to my will.

I came again when days were passed;
The bit of clay was hard at last,
The form I gave it still it bore,
But I could change the form no more.

I took a piece of living clay
And touched it gently day by day,
And molded with my power and art
A young child's soft and yielding heart.

I came again when years were gone;
It was a mind I looked upon;
That early impress still he wore,
And I could change that form no more.

6 comments :

  1. Jen, you are an amazing mother. It is just crazy to me that you would let the enemy question that. I know I'm a better mother b/c we are friends! I mean that. You say this to me a lot and you need to hear it... I wish you could see yourself the way I and other people do. Lauren is so blessed to have you as her mother!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on fighting, Girl! You are doing the right thing and doing it well! I love you, and I know Lauren loves you, her mommy who makes her her top priority, even when it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there - I well remember feeling this way years ago. I can now look back and realize I was doing the most important job in the world - raising my kids. Leave the room and then come back in and see the joy in those little eyes - that is what it is all about. On a side note --- I could absolutely swear that Kelly had PMS at 1 year old!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said many times motherhood is the one thing that keeps me on my knees ... at Jesus' feet. I know we are much harder on ourselves than he would care for us to be. We have hard days, period. I believe when we were in the 'workforce' we didn't question our actions so much because we didn't have so much invested in the outcome. Staying at home highlights the fact we are responsible for how our children grow (spiritually, mentally, physically) and the pressure is great at times. God gets that and fills in the gaps when we 'fail' at times. The most important thing to do when Lauren gets older is to let her see that - that Mom messes up, but you serve a Savior that picks you up and dusts you off. She will learn that from you and you are doing a beautiful job!!

    Okay, enough preaching - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, here is what I think of when I think of you and the amazing person you are:

    compassionate, kind, generous, determined, thoughtful, creative, loyal, considerate, patient, thrifty, a giving mom, a peacemaker, a good friend, an excellent wife, energetic, passionate, loving, caring, full of life and energy, intelligent, productive, beautiful inside and out... I could go on and on. Jen you are such an inspiration to me in so many ways. Hang in there and know that I will be praying for you to not only get out of the trenches, but to grow and reach places you've never been, learning from your experiences. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, I'm praying that God will give you just a glimpse of the Jen that the rest of us see. You striving to be the best and not settling for anything less than, is what makes you so wonderfully you. Hang in there and remember that Satan doesn't fight those who aren't making a difference! You are daughter of the Most High King and He loves you just the way you are.

    ReplyDelete