Thursday, June 02, 2011

Creation Day One

Let me first say that most of the ideas for our Creation unit came from these two sources:


I knew after having a newborn that there was no way I was going to have enough time to plan and get all creative but I still really wanted to have some intentional Bible story learning time with Lauren. Thankfully, these two girls did all the leg work for me and I just had to follow along with what they did. I added a few things in myself, but for the most part I followed their lead. That being said, I don't have a lot to offer here that hasn't already been done, but this blog is for my children and I want Lauren to be able to look back at this one day and know that her mama was the first one to teach her about Creation. :)


Day One


We started our lesson by reading the story of what God made on day one from my Bible. Lauren liked feeling the pages and pretending she was reading it too. Then, we used this Bible of hers to read about each individual page. I really liked using it because each day of Creation was broken up into an easy to read segment and the pictures were really captivating for her. 




Next, we colored a picture from here that showed day one. Lauren and I had a lot of fun talking about God making light and coloring the page!!!





I don't have any pictures of the next activity we did but it was a HUGE hit. I was trying to think about how I could express that God made light when there was only darkness. So, while Easton was taking a nap in his pack and play in the living room, Lauren and I went into his room and turned off the lights. He has blackout curtains so it got really dark. I stood by the light switch and we would say over and over..."And God said, let there be light." When I would say the word light I would switch on the light. Such a simple concept, but one she really grasped!!

We sang our day one song:

Day One, Day One
God made light when there was none.
Day One, Day One
God made light when there was none.

We also started memorizing Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

I was so glad to get to start this unit with Lauren and really happy that she seemed to love doing the activities together. It was the perfect way to ease back into purposeful play with her!!! It took us much longer than one week to complete our unit, but with a newborn I figured it would and tried to give myself a little freedom and grace. My favorite thing is to be able to have conversations with Lauren about what we've learned so far. She remembers SO much of it! At night as she goes to sleep I can hear her in the monitor singing the songs we learned with the unit and it just melts my heart.

Up next: Day Two!

No comments :

Post a Comment