Wednesday, May 12, 2010

raise a glass to friendship and to knowing, you don't have to go alone

Last night I met some of my dearest friends for dinner and girl time. I've known these girls for about 5 years now and when I look back at our journey I just can't help but see God's hands all over it. When I got hired at Nixa I was told that I would be teaching 4th grade. I had no idea what to expect and I had never met any of the ladies I'd be working with. I can remember that first year of teaching so vividly. We became teammates first and foremost, but as the year rolled on it became pretty obvious that we were becoming really good friends. The kind of friends you can disagree with and still love to death. The kinds of friends who are there for your good days and your bad and accept you either way. The kinds of friends who know by a look on your face or the crack in your voice that a hugging intervention is needed. The kinds of friends who would beat up anyone who hurt you (or at least would talk the big talk about beating up said person ;) hehe) The kinds of friends who support decisions you make and cheer you on as you head into the unknown.

Over the past 5 years some have had babies, some have moved buildings, some have left teaching completely, some have become building administrators, and some have become math instructors. We aren't together anymore. But, in a way, we still are. We are connected. I think we always will be and I thank God for that. We have some mighty sweet memories and we can laugh with the best of them.

The evening started with Tammy and Leslie coming to pick me up. Tammy brought me a special surprise for my birthday.


Oh yeah, baby! That is the mother of all chocolate cakes. I would try to tell you just how fantabulous it is, but honestly I don't think words can describe it. How sweet is she? I don't even care if I gain 10 pounds from it...it is that good!


LOOK AT THE INSIDE OF THIS THING......Oh my dear!!!! There are like pieces of actual chocolate in there. I have no idea how she made it, but IT.IS.GOOD.

We went to HuHot's for dinner and we closed down the place. Literally. I asked the waitress to take our picture and I as I did I realized we were the only ones in the place. I asked her what time they closed and she said 15 minutes ago!!! We always do that!!! We hardly ever get to see each other and so when we do get together it is basically just a huge talk fest. Which I love. LOVE.

I love these girls so much.

when I am down and need to cry till morning
I know just where I am going
when I'm in need of sweet commiseration
to speak out loud

raise a glass to friendship and to knowing
you don't have to go alone

we'll raise our hearts to share each others burdens
on this road


with every burden I have carried
with every joy it's understood
life with you is half as hard
and twice as good

~Sara Groves~

4 comments :

  1. You said it perfectly, Girlie! Perfectly!

    Glad you're enjoying the cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww..what a sweet tribute to US! We truly do have something special. I agree with Tammy...said perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a great night!!!! I love you girls so much. I am so blessed. Thank you for such a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, that was sooo much fun! I have missed you all very much and isn't it nice to always pick up where we left off and gasp and laugh with each other. Love you all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete