Saturday, January 24, 2009

baby food makin'

I am attempting to make Lauren's baby food. I feel like it could be a way to save our family some money and since I am home I thought I might be able to keep up with it. It could be interesting, but I am up for the challenge.
I am starting her off with carrots and have plans to make squash and green beans next. Basically you just peel and cut up the carrots and then steam them until they are really soft and smushy. My mom got me this awesome microwave steamer from The Pampered Chef. It is so easy and quick...luuuve it!
Drain the water off, but make sure to save it in another container so that you can add it back to the carrots as needed. I am using a food processor to make her baby food. I tried my blender, but it didn't get all of the chunks out completely and she gagged when I tried to feed it to her. It needs to be pretty smooth for these first steps of feeding.

Puree the carrots, adding the steamed water as necessary.When the consistency is how you like it, fill ice cube trays with the baby food. Freeze these and then distribute 2 to 3 cubes into individual freezer bags. This is about how much is in a baby food jar.
When you are ready to use the baby food, either run the freezer bag under warm water or pop the ice cubes in a small bowl and microwave for just a little bit and the food is ready!

Yummy! :)

3 comments :

  1. Ooohh, I just love that face! What a doll:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie!! How old is she now? I have plans to make baby food as well -fewer preservatives and additives. Keep us posted on how the process is working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You go girl...I am very impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete