Thursday, August 23, 2012

Homemade Bath Paints!!!!


I have been wanting to make the bath paints that have been floating around Pinterest for like ever. Well, after a cah-ray-zee day yesterday I decided last night was the night. I found my recipe from HERE and only changed it a little (based on what we had on hand) but it was a HUGE hit.

First of all, I chose to make these with cornstarch, food coloring, and baby soap. There are lots of recipes out there that call for shaving cream. While that might be okay for my kiddos if they were wearing bathing suits, I didn't want to risk them getting shaving cream in places where it would surely hurt. Just a little FYI for you.

The first thing I did was put a few squirts of a gel based food coloring into a muffin tin. I was originally going to make one tin for each kid but didn't end up with enough baby soap. It really worked just fine for them to share. :)

 

Then I mixed up the concoction of cornstarch and baby soap and poured a little bit over each puddle of food coloring. I didn't stir it together because I wanted the kiddos to have the excitement of seeing what color they would get when they stirred!!!

 

After that, its pretty simple. Give them some paintbrushes and re-assure them over and over that it truly is okay to paint on the bathtub walls....and themselves! :) After quite a while of painting everything will start to turn a muddy brown color, the bathtub walls, the water, and even those crazy kids....I just washed them off, drained the tub, then filled it back up so we could finish up with our normal bathtime cleaning!


Seriously, the cutest little hands ever, right?! Oh, and this was before we added a little water to the tub. 


Oh, and you are SO welcome for the sneak peeks of our master bathroom. Its pretty awful in there. We've pulled some wall paper off, but we never get too far. We just have SO much else going on with this house right now. It can wait!!!

 

It was seriously a great way to end a kind of stressful day. And SUPER easy. It took literally no time or extra energy on my part because after yesterday....I didn't have a whole lot extra to give!

Homemade Bath Paint Recipe: Adapted from here

3/4 cup baby soap (I think that using baby shampoo would work just fine too...especially if it is tear free)
8 tablespoons cornstarch (really just add as much as you need to get it to a thicker consistency)
gel food coloring

*PS for those of you wondering....the food coloring did not stain my bathtub or my children! Win, Win!*


No comments :

Post a Comment