Friday, April 10, 2015

Welcome, Wyatt!

*Oh man, I am rusty at this. Y'all, I didn't even know my blog password when I tried to log in. This place used to be my outlet and my happy place and then the blog world got all crazy and I got disillusioned with it and kind of just gave up. But, I love having memories here and I'm feeling the desire and need to write again so here goes!*

Wyatt David Barry joined our little (kind of big now) family on March 23rd, 2015. His arrival was not expected or planned on that day but it was so perfect and such a God move!

Monday, the 23rd I went in for my 38 week check up. We had scheduled my induction for March 30th so I wasn't thinking that day would be the day. However, when my doctor checked me he realized that I had been leaking amniotic fluid. I had called his office the Friday before concerned about this but the nurse assured me I was probably just in early labor and that unless my contractions became close together not to worry. Well, as my doctor looked at me solemnly after checking me I knew something was up. Shawn was an hour and a half away, my mom was watching Easton and getting ready to pick Lauren up from school and I was alone in office when he said, "You are not going home, you are going straight to labor and delivery. You'll have a baby in your arms today." I, of course, freaked out and started to cry. They got me a wheelchair and a nice nurse wheeled me to the hospital as I frantically called Shawn and told him to GET. THERE. NOW. He didn't believe me at first, but it didn't take him long to tell that I was serious!

My mom called my brother, Jared, and he rushed over to be with me so I didn't have to be alone. My mom packed up my bags and my kids and brought them to the hospital as soon as she could and then Shawn made it right before my epidural (thanks to Matt's driving!)

My friend, Kasey, came up to take pictures for us and I'm so glad she did because everything was kind of crazy and I didn't have to worry about doing it myself!

Because my water likely broke the Thursday before there was concern about infection for me and Wyatt. They got the pitocen started right away and I was sure thankful for my epidural. It was spot on. I could feel and move my legs and I could tell when I was having a contraction because I could feel the tightness but I had no real pain.

Wyatt's heart rate was kind of going crazy so I had to lay in one position most of the time. That was a bit annoying, but it made him happier so I obliged!

One awesome thing was that my mom got to be in the delivery room with Shawn and me when Wyatt was born. It was really special and something I will always remember and treasure.

Everyone took turns guessing the birth weight. I was hoping those 7 lb guesses would be the most accurate!

Right before I needed to start pushing the kids came in for one last kiss and hug. I couldn't believe that we were so close to becoming a family of 5!

And, then, everyone gathered around (even my most awesome nurse) and my dad prayed over me and the baby before everyone had to leave the room.

At 11:42 PM Wyatt David was born and it was so amazing. He weighed 8 lb 7 oz and was 21 inches long. He had a head full of long dark hair and he was just the cutest thing!

By the time the kids got to come into the room it was LATE and Easton was so tired!

It was such a special and unexpected day and our family is so very blessed!


  1. Sweet blog Jen, and par for the course, we read with Blurry eyes!!!!

  2. I just found your blog today and want to say congratulations on the addition to your family and don't give up on your writing! I will be coming back for more. My best to you!!!